Operation: Overkill World HQ
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 03:43:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Be sure and visit Operation Overkill World HQ!
1079 Posts in 253 Topics by 97 Members
Latest Member: Lord Blackfair
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Operation: Overkill World HQ
|-+  Operation: Overkill BBS Door Game
| |-+  Tales from the Wastelands
| | |-+  Welcome to the Wasteland
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Welcome to the Wasteland  (Read 11929 times)
Blue60
Recruit

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2008, 02:50:14 am »

Here is my first attempt at writing a story based on Overkill,  let me know what you think,  It took me about 15min and I wrote it on my lunch break at work. I am not much of a writer so I dont know it its any good.  Embarrassed   

For the 9th time in the last hour I looked at my radiation counter,  when patroling the wasteland you always catch yourself checking the rad counter.  The captan calls a halt and a 10min break the platoon forms a defensive primiter and everyone sucks back a ration canteen but keeps a eye open for any one of the many mutants that roam the wasteland.  After our brake we start heading back to the compound my pack feels heavy with the Items I recovered, after 6 months at the complex I still grab any items no one else wants.  I have a huge supply closet of things I have picked up in the wasteland and most of the items in my pack will end up there as well.  4 months ago the compound was raided by the Hydrite if not for the Items in my supply closet we would have lost alot of people, But we only lost 3 recruit they were all new to the complex,  I dont even bother learning the new recruits names they die so fast out here.
We walk past the bones of the Scavengers and skinless men we killed only hours ago.  The bones were Ivory white and you could see some teeth marks on the bones, Using Hand signals I advise my squadron to be on the lookout for anything out of place, nothing good ever survives in the wasteland.

I have been working at the complex for just over 6 months, and am now the leader of the blackwater squad we have outpost bases scattered over the wasteland stocked with all kind of supply's and weapons  for when we are on long distance Operations  and needs a place to sleep, the outpost also have teleporters to get us to and from our objectives sooner.

We arrived at the complex just before the sun set,  I go report to the Complex Commander  when my men go to shower, see the medic and go to the supply room the sell what they found and to stockup on ammo and whatever else they need. After reporting to the Complex Commander, I go the the supply room and buy another ammo pack for my Electric Sword, I sell a Hydrite skull and end up getting 1200 water crystals  for it.
Once back at the barreks I make all my squad clean there weapons and get all there combat gear squared away,  I Drop my HeXonium armor on to my bunk and clean my Electric Sword.
After everything is squared away everyone relaxes by betting on the roach races we have weekly,  I lost just over 700 water crystals but I am not so broken up,  they only thing you can relly do is use them to buy better weapons and armor or equipment.  well there is other things but there is rules about that kind of behavior. 
I just finished checking the roster to make sure none of my guys were on Guard Duty (I hope we would get  the new Gate Guard soon)  I started going through all my supply's and the alarm sounds we are under attack,  I grab my armor and Electric sword and start to put it on,  everyone on my team also grabbed there packs and stuffed all the medkits and rations they could into it.  As we all arrived topside I notice alot of the other squads members don't have there armor on and most only had long range weapons, no hand to hand weapons to be found. 
The Complexes turrets go into action killing most of  the swarm of Giant wasps that attacked the base, all of a sudden I hear a scream I turn and see a Giant wasp's  Stinger though the neck of one the guys from the RedDawn  squad,  I spring into action and bring my Electric Sword into play cutting the Wasp in half but I was to late the help guy he died before his body hit the ground.
There is a large explosion and I hear the Comples shealds go down,  Dam something just setoff a Duroplast I know its now time to leave the complex we cant hold it any longer,  I get on to my transcom to talk to the Complex Commander but he's dead, as I look around I see most of the recruits are dead, and those that are alive are running into the wasteland most without armor or supply's they will not last the night.  As I make ready to run to the nearest base I pull a thumper from my pack and thumb the switch, a steady Thump, Thump, Thump that cant be heard but felt starts.  I drop it in the complex and run for all I am worth, as I turn and look at whats  left of the base I see NUKEEM appearer and start feeding from the bodies of recruits and mutants alike.  We may have lost the complex but I ensure that the enemy will gain nothing from the attack,  I slowly make my way to Alpha Base and hope its not overrun as well.
As I wonder to Alpha Base I fight many Monsters and retrieve more Water Crystals,  I stripped the corpses and find  6 med packs, and a some new armor.  As the sun starts to rise I can just make out Alpha Base in the distance it looks damaged but there is no mutants around just a couple chard bodies.  I get inside and find the base empty sofar no one else made it to alpha base.
I go to the control room and check the logs,  no one has entered the base in 2 weeks,  I go to the roof and lookout in to the wasteland and grimace I can see movement to the south in the swamps so I lockdown the base and get ready for sleep, Tomorrow is a new day with new battles.
because as I said before Nothing good ever Survives the wasteland.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 11:37:58 am by Tarix » Logged
mindphaser
Recruit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 03:45:16 am »

Very nice!  Makes me want to play!
Blue60
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 03:26:54 pm »

Thanks,  Grin  I don't know if I am going to write a part 2 but it was a fun, I have not written a short story since High School... (its been a long time)
Dustin
Leader of the Lizards
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 10:15:43 am »

...because as I said before Nothing good ever Survives the wasteland.

....except me. Smiley

Good story, Blue!!  Thanks for the cool addition.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: