Operation: Overkill World HQ
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 11:58:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Be sure and visit Operation Overkill World HQ!
1079 Posts in 253 Topics by 97 Members
Latest Member: Lord Blackfair
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Operation: Overkill World HQ
|-+  Operation: Overkill BBS Door Game
| |-+  Recruit Chat
| | |-+  EDITOO ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EDITOO ?  (Read 10723 times)
Dirk
Recruit

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2004, 01:44:45 pm »

I had this evile notion to take some of the old door games I used to run on my BBS and make them available via telnet.  So, I went browsing around and found myself here.  Great to see that OOII survives!  My old registration code doesn't work for some reason.  Must be the imbeded space.  Fortunately, somebody was kind enough to make a registration generator available.  Cool.  The only thing I miss is an editor.  The new version doesn't seem to have anything more than a terrain editor and the old editor obviously isn't going to work.  The old EDITOO won't recognize the game as registered; probably because of version differences.  Is there one for the current version?

Thanks again for having the latest version!  The old files I had (beta .997 I think?) didn't even have Overkill, just Overclone.  The players got a little tired of killing him and not being able to "win".
mindphaser
Recruit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 06:29:01 am »

Dirk,

Are you using 1.20?  If so, try this Registration code:

BBS Name: OVERKILL
Reg Code: 75777899

It's one that Tarix generated and posted in a diff subforum.  If I remember right EDITOO works with that, but I'll double check my local install when I get home:!:
Dirk
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 12:46:42 pm »

Yes, I'm running 1.20 with the vidland mapset for the moment.  I used a registration code generator someone kindly provided, so that's working.  Like I say, my only gripe is the editor is only a terrain editor.  The old EDITOO would edit a lot more, but that was for version .998b and doesn't work with the 1.20 dataset.

Other than that, it seems to work via telnet just fine.   I'd post the URL, but I don't really know what policy is here about that kind of thing.
Blazewarrior
Recruit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 05:01:08 am »

You could try what I used to use......DEBUG.

LOL.   Yeppers.  Good ol' Debug (or better yet "Hex Workshop")
works great as an editor.....

Unfortunately, I never realized that, or knew how to use it, until
door games had already phased out and the internet began to rear it's many ugly heads......

Tough to use DEBUG as an editor, but I assume the file structures
are organized the same, in which case it's easy.

Write down or print out your character stats screenshot, then convert the stats to hexadecimal, then search thru debugging the
player data file until you find sequential numbers corresponding to your char's stats.  At that point, assuming you've found the correct place in the file, you can begin hacking your char.  I suggest replacing the values for HP and DEX with "FF"  Wink
You can hack monsters the same way, and do even more knifty stuff if you're skilled with DEBUG or Hex Workshop.   DEBUG, for those who don't know, is included with DOS and Windows, and can be run from the Windows "Run file" command prompt window or DOS.  Hex Workshop is MUCH better and runs in Windows.

Yeah Yeah....too much to bother with?   Yeah....heh....get EDITOO.
 :roll:
Dustin
Leader of the Lizards
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 05:49:04 am »

Quote from: "Blazewarrior"
Yeah Yeah....too much to bother with?   Yeah....heh....get EDITOO.
 :roll:

Hey Tarix, I downloaded ooii120_.zip.  Where are you hiding EDITOOII?  I don't see it included in the .zip.
Tarix
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 08:28:25 am »

Quote from: "Weezal"
Hey Tarix, I downloaded ooii120_.zip.  Where are you hiding EDITOOII?  I don't see it included in the .zip.

Jeez, now you want to cheat too!  I personally think that using EDITOOII should lock the game into local-mode only.

mindphaser
Recruit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 06:16:52 am »

Quote from: "Tarix"
Jeez, now you want to cheat too!  I personally think that using EDITOOII should lock the game into local-mode only.

Still, being able to use it would be cool!  When you going to add it to the downloads section?   :twisted:
Tarix
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 06:23:16 am »

Quote from: "mindphaser"

Still, being able to use it would be cool!  When you going to add it to the downloads section?   :twisted:

The only working version I have left needs both reg codes.  So either I have to see if the old source still compiles or find the key generator.

I'll see about doing the former since that'll be the most useful.

Dustin
Leader of the Lizards
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 03:20:27 am »

Quote from: "Tarix"
Quote from: "mindphaser"

The only working version I have left needs both reg codes.  So either I have to see if the old source still compiles or find the key generator.

I'll see about doing the former since that'll be the most useful.

Some of the data/format might have changed since v1.11, so Editoii may need a recompile after all.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: