Operation: Overkill World HQ
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:17:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Be sure and visit Operation Overkill World HQ!
1079 Posts in 253 Topics by 97 Members
Latest Member: Lord Blackfair
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Operation: Overkill World HQ
|-+  Operation: Overkill BBS Door Game
| |-+  Recruit Chat
| | |-+  Barl's Bar and the mystery of the code keys
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Barl's Bar and the mystery of the code keys  (Read 20547 times)
VACANTSTARE
Recruit

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2006, 07:58:20 am »

<Inspiration for this post's title provided by countless scooby doo episodes>

Does anyone out there know the criteria for buying a code key from barl? In the faq it says you've got to pay 100,100 crystals for a drink. I've managed to buy one in a game a few months ago. but have failed at each subsiquent attempt. Does the ammount have to be exact? When I did manage to buy it, I actually paid more than the 100,100 just to be careful. Or does Barl only have one for sale, and when that's gone everyone else is SOL. Or maybe it's something else entirely :?:
Dwarf_in_hideing
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 11:12:55 am »

If I recall rightly.. Barl only sells one key. If you are the second, third etc person to try to bribe him for one.. yer outta luck. Out the crystals too  (grin)

DF
Silstar
Recruit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 03:53:32 pm »

If that's the case, then it's off to the prison or find Aurora to get a code key, right?
Dwarf_in_hideing
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 09:37:00 am »

I skip Barl and hit the prison myself.  I've never poked at  asking the Aurora about the code keys. I just figured that it would direct me to going into the prison and I'd be out the payment for information I already knew. In hindsight I now wonder if the Aurora actually gives you a code key for the asking. Hrmmm.... Anybody Know for sure??

The Mad Dwarf..

**An Incarnation of a Dam Frawd**
dgbehrends
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 07:18:58 am »

I tested the Barl bribing out on the novice board and here is what I found.  If you give him 50000 or more he would give you a key if you have a spot open in your pack regardless of whether you already had a key or not.  I then tried this again with the key in my pack that he just gave me and still an open slot and he gave me another key.  In the Journeyman board I gave him the 50000 and he did not give me a key.  I think the amount you pay for a key is a setting set when the game is restarted, kind of like how many moves before your hunger level increases, or how many times you are allowed to hit the oracle.  I don't think there is a limit on how many keys he gives out, as this would be unfairly give the early risers an advantage.  (first come first server I guess)

IGN:BIGD
Dustin
Leader of the Lizards
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 01:20:24 pm »

Quote from: "dgbehrends"
I tested the Barl bribing out on the novice board and here is what I found.  If you give him 50000 or more he would give you a key if you have a spot open in your pack regardless of whether you already had a key or not.  I then tried this again with the key in my pack that he just gave me and still an open slot and he gave me another key.  In the Journeyman board I gave him the 50000 and he did not give me a key.  I think the amount you pay for a key is a setting set when the game is restarted, kind of like how many moves before your hunger level increases, or how many times you are allowed to hit the oracle.  I don't think there is a limit on how many keys he gives out, as this would be unfairly give the early risers an advantage.  (first come first server I guess)

Barl's bribe for a code key is 50k crystals and a 30% chance of persuasion.
dgbehrends
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 02:15:59 pm »

Hmm, I'm not sure about the 30% chance on the novice board.  I'm fairly certain I recieved a key all 4 or 5 times I tried it.  Very unlikely I got lucky that many times in a row.

Dustin
Leader of the Lizards
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 01:40:10 am »

Hmm, I'm not sure about the 30% chance on the novice board.  I'm fairly certain I recieved a key all 4 or 5 times I tried it.  Very unlikely I got lucky that many times in a row.

It's unlikely, but the program is compiled the same for all difficulty levels.
dgbehrends
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 01:46:37 am »

So what you are saying is that this is not a sysop option, but rather a hard coded value in the code.  I'm guessing the code for this has changed at some point because the FAQ lists something like 100,100 crystals, but only the first person gets it.

Dustin
Leader of the Lizards
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 01:54:45 am »

So what you are saying is that this is not a sysop option, but rather a hard coded value in the code.  I'm guessing the code for this has changed at some point because the FAQ lists something like 100,100 crystals, but only the first person gets it.

Right, it's not a sysop option to set those values.  They are indeed hardcoded.  The FAQs are created by the players, and it's their guess as to what the "real" conditions are.  Also, I don't think the code has changed for this small secret in the game.

Best bet, unless you're filthy rich in crystals, is to acquire a codekey from the Hydrite prison (or an unsuspecting camper).
dgbehrends
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 02:01:12 am »

Yes I agree, the hydrite prison is a very rewarding place Smiley

Tarix
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 01:32:29 pm »

Nope.  The secrets have not been changed in any way.  They are an important part of the game especially since many of them have remained a secret for so long.

Most of them I only know from trying to re-implement them in OOIS and making sure they worked properly. Smiley

He definitely doesn't have a key limit though.  Overkill was pretty light on saving data.  When it first came out I recall it was actually a disk space hog.  8O

Mercury
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 01:18:15 pm »

i have tried to get a key at various levels.  first i thought i need a galacticom - got one, still didnt work.  then i thought i needed to be level seven - killed some dudes, attained level, still didn't work.  then i thought there was a limited number - killed dudes, become level seven, got galacticom, gave 100,100 crystals, had open spot - first and only dude in restarted game.  And guess what, STILL NO FREAKIN code key.  what is a guy to do???  i think there is another element that I haven't discovered.
Tarix
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 03:30:08 pm »

It's:

if ((random() * 99) + 1 > 30)  Smiley

Or quite simply you have to get pretty lucky!

dgbehrends
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 12:25:07 am »

I must have been insanely lucky on the Novice board because I got a key almost every time.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: