Operation: Overkill World HQ
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:11:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Be sure and visit Operation Overkill World HQ!
1079 Posts in 253 Topics by 97 Members
Latest Member: Lord Blackfair
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Operation: Overkill World HQ
|-+  Operation: Overkill BBS Door Game
| |-+  Bugs and Annoyances
| | |-+  Base Crash?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Base Crash?  (Read 21210 times)
Dustin
Leader of the Lizards
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: June 25, 2007, 03:53:47 am »

Man, I had just built a new base, upgraded the shields, bought some defenses, increased a level, found the oracle, made some hard cash from equipment, and i was about to logoff when the game crashed on me (i assume!)  Blast!

I was withdrawing crystals from my base's storage room, and wham, i'm back to the eleBBS software.  I gasped, thinking I pressed the wrong key to exit.  So, re-entered the game, and nothing had been saved to the data files.  Darnit!  That was a lot of work accomplished! hehe  

The frontier log shows no 'End: xx:xx' time, so my turn was not completely in the usual correct logoff sequence.  Strange.

I will try to build another base and deposit/withdraw crystals again to see if I can reproduce the alleged crash.
dgbehrends
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 04:56:39 am »

Something similar happened to me a while ago.  But I think it might be related to logging in and logging out quickly.  I ended my turn by camping in a base, and then proceeded to log back in right away.  When I did  I found that nothing from my previous play had been recorded.  If this is the problem (logging back in to quickly) I suggest having a 5 minute waiting time.

IGN:BIGD
Tarix
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 01:06:15 pm »

Porting the game to Windows has uncovered a lot of strange/interesting crash bugs.

I've been meaning to see what sort of exception handling the FPC compiler has to help track them down, but the whole thing isn't well documented.  Normally it requires me downloading the source code for the system modules and figuring out things for myself.  Not much fun.

If you get a 100% reproducible case that helps.  I think Mercury has found a few.

Dustin
Leader of the Lizards
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 01:23:38 am »

Quote from: "Tarix"
Porting the game to Windows has uncovered a lot of strange/interesting crash bugs.

I've been meaning to see what sort of exception handling the FPC compiler has to help track them down, but the whole thing isn't well documented.  Normally it requires me downloading the source code for the system modules and figuring out things for myself.  Not much fun.

If you get a 100% reproducible case that helps.  I think Mercury has found a few.

I completed my round yesterday by building a base.  I will see if my crash was related to depositing/withdrawing crystals from a base (*hoping* that my base still exists due to all the missile silo wars going on...heh)
dgbehrends
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 02:23:17 am »

Flatlander I is safe Smiley

Dustin
Leader of the Lizards
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 02:25:07 am »

Quote from: "Weezal"
Quote from: "Tarix"

I completed my round yesterday by building a base.  I will see if my crash was related to depositing/withdrawing crystals from a base (*hoping* that my base still exists due to all the missile silo wars going on...heh)

Confirmed: no crashes with picking up and dropping crystals in a base.
Mercury
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 01:09:58 pm »

deleted for the betterment of society.
dgbehrends
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 01:56:16 pm »

WOW!  Thats a pretty neat trick/bug.  Hopefully tarix will be able to fix that in the next build.

Tarix
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 03:56:47 pm »

Fix the crash, save the economy?

I'd rather be saving cheerleaders ...

Dustin
Leader of the Lizards
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 01:09:28 am »

Quote from: "Mercury"
it has nothing to do with dropping crystals, it has to do with the last item in the base.  if you pickup the last item in the base, say bye bye to your session.  i can create billions of crystals using this bug, by giving the crystals to another user, picking the last item in a base, then logging back in and I still have my crystals and so does the other user - double or nothing.  then, continue and continue and in about 20 rounds of logging in back and fourth between dudes, you've got a billion in one hour.

gls.

Ouch!  That's a major show-stopper.
Mercury
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 02:41:25 am »

deleted for the betterment of society
Mercury
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 02:43:53 am »

FYI

I am quite certain I am the only one to ever actually kill enough to get 10,000,000 experience points.  When you are level 13 (somewhere around 1,000,000 experience points), it says in the complex training room that level 14 is 10,000,000.  I blasted 5000+ little dudes to get that high and when I did, that message remains but it says "-x" points to next level.  For example, when I was 10,500,000 exp, it says "10,000,000 to level 14, you are -500,000 away".  clearly, level 13 was expected and designed to be the highest but I went ahead and went for it anyway.
Mercury
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 02:45:20 am »

deleted for the betterment of society
Tarix
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 04:38:48 am »

The base bug has been fixed.

Let me know if there are other places that just dump you back to the BBS.

Mercury
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 12:59:36 am »

damn, and i forgot to stash a few billion to tide me over.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: