Operation: Overkill World HQ
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:53:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Be sure and visit Operation Overkill World HQ!
1079 Posts in 253 Topics by 97 Members
Latest Member: Lord Blackfair
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Operation: Overkill World HQ
|-+  Operation: Overkill BBS Door Game
| |-+  Recruit Chat
| | |-+  Hi, new member
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hi, new member  (Read 17577 times)
Argus444
Recruit

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2008, 12:01:34 pm »

Hi i'm not sure if this is in the right thread or not but here goes. When I was somewhere between 5-9 years old 90-95ish my dad played this BBS mud. I dont remember the name, i'm assuming this is it tho. I googled tevix bahn because for some reason I always remembered that weapon bein badass in this game and always wanting one when I played. I found this website and was surprised to see it was still around. So anyways I was wondering is this the same game I was thinking of? I remember finding an oracle gave you a level... you fought by pressing the space bar at the right time when engaged in an enemy, and I remember learning the words ascending and descending at a very young age heh. So if this is the same game it was back in the day someone tell me how to get started!

Thanks!
dgbehrends
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 03:58:33 am »

You have found the game.  I suggest reading the the players guide.
Located here
http://www.operationoverkill.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=1
All of the maps are listed on the web in the wastelands link on the left of the home page.  There are several sites hosting operation overkill.  Here are my notes.

exciter.ws
zaverus very slow combat
lvl1 skinless man is oracle giver

dsbbs.net
can't remember

bluelobster.dyndns.org
vidland v1.2 not sure of the speed
locked up right now

bbs.memphistw.org
vidland v1.2  fast
my favorite right now

thirdrockbbs.com
vidland v1.2  fast but choppy

www.operationoverkill.com
slow speed
3 games of varying difficulty
beta version of the game with additional features
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 11:08:04 am by dgbehrends » Logged

IGN:BIGD
Exciter
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 04:09:42 pm »

I set the combat speed at slow because some people get lag and that screws up the combat. If there were a term program that had the action combat on the client side then this wouldn't be an issue. And yes, the game is very old. No one ever beats the game. Although there's about 3 or 4 active players in the game right now.

If there's any interest I could setup another game with settings players want.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 04:11:22 pm by Exciter » Logged
DamFrawd

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 06:06:46 am »

"No one ever beats the game"

Hrmmmm  perhaps someone ought ta do something bout that.  *chuckle*

DF
dgbehrends
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 11:02:04 am »

I set the combat speed at slow because some people get lag and that screws up the combat. If there were a term program that had the action combat on the client side then this wouldn't be an issue. And yes, the game is very old. No one ever beats the game. Although there's about 3 or 4 active players in the game right now.

If there's any interest I could setup another game with settings players want.

Having the combat slow is a double edged sword.  On one hand it makes the game playable for newcomers and experience folk combined, but it also makes the game too slow for the hardened vets who like fast combat and are capable of beating the game in a week or so.

Dustin
Leader of the Lizards
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 10:00:47 am »

Hi i'm not sure if this is in the right thread or not but here goes. When I was somewhere between 5-9 years old 90-95ish my dad played this BBS mud. I dont remember the name, i'm assuming this is it tho. I googled tevix bahn because for some reason I always remembered that weapon bein badass in this game and always wanting one when I played. I found this website and was surprised to see it was still around. So anyways I was wondering is this the same game I was thinking of? I remember finding an oracle gave you a level... you fought by pressing the space bar at the right time when engaged in an enemy, and I remember learning the words ascending and descending at a very young age heh. So if this is the same game it was back in the day someone tell me how to get started!

Thanks!
Welcome aboard, Argus!  What handle did you father use in the game?

-Weez
DamFrawd

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 10:26:33 am »

Indeed.. welcome Argus.. May the wasteland be kind to you.  Smiley
 Don't want to be forgeting to welcome new players.  Whew!  almost forgot mah manners..

On another note .. slow action speed is easily compensated for on most BBSes.. You just have to make a few adjustments and you can still kill at a pace that others will wonder at. Or at least so I've heard.. I'm not sure if I count as one of those hardened vets that weekly (or so) skin the big Lizzard  Smiley  Perhaps I dally with the queen too much or something. Hrmmmmm

Oh well.. off to the wastelands.  Shockles to tingle.. Lez-Mots to taunt..

Dam Frawd

**an incarnation of a Mad Dwarf**

PS. Trivia question here.. what version was it where to fight the Lez-Mot was equavallent to suicide..? I think Dustin pointed out that "some monsters were not made to be killed.." back then.   LOL 

Suprax
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 04:26:41 am »

reply to PS. Trivia question here.. what version was it where to fight the Lez-Mot was equavallent to suicide..? I think Dustin pointed out that "some monsters were not made to be killed.." back then.   LOL

I think that was in .99 version when Dustin and Tom Hazel split up and Dustin went on his own.  Tom hazel was a JERK who stole most of Dustin's stuff at the time and took the rewards himself.  The Lez-Mot was named after him (Tom Hazel) and was not meant to be killed at the time. 
The rest was history and the whole story I have still of all of that stuff.
Smiley

Suprax, the first to kill Overkill and still have the Trophy on my desk..a little dusty but still there.. LOL

Trivia: PS, what monster was named after ME?  Smiley
DamFrawd

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 08:08:15 am »

yep yep..  Ole Tom  started a simmilar game (which we will never mention here except in the most derogatory of terms..) We can also credit Him with being the first person to get into the bad player list That the game used to have coded inside.. (Dunno if thats still there. I haven't looked in years.) 

Suprax.. I used to call long distance to play on your board. You and I have even teamed up breifly. I ran by "The Mad Dwarf" back then. It wasn't till 94' or so that I slipped thru the looking glass and swaped to DamFrawd.

>>Trivia: PS, what monster was named after ME?  Smiley<<

Heh.. I know I know this.. but it ain't springing to mind. All I can think of is the monster that tells ya not to belive the boasting Hawk.  I think I'll avoid a slap to the forehead by getting me a V-8 now.. Then when it's answered I'll just smile and grunt out a "duh"

DamFrawd
Suprax
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 01:18:07 am »

DWARFY!!!!  OMG!!  my long lost buddy!!  good to know you are still about!  Smiley (I use to love to kill you!!)

>>Heh.. I know I know this.. but it ain't springing to mind. All I can think of is the monster that tells ya not to belive the boasting Hawk.  I think I'll avoid a slap to the forehead by getting me a V-8 now.. Then when it's answered I'll just smile and grunt out a "duh"

I'll give you a HINT - if they are still in the game as we knew it .. dustin's namesake was/is FLUNN.......  I was/am LEM.......  now you finish the names Smiley Smiley Smiley

They are level 5 critters.

LOVE YA!!!
Suprax
dgbehrends
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 03:11:08 am »

Flunizoid and the Lemmerod
something like that, its been a while since I've been in airforce base.

DamFrawd

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 04:22:36 am »

Ha!.. now I'm going to haveta listen to a Lermnod to see if it talks about Hawk. (Those are indeed level 5 mobs.. not AFB critters.). As far as killing me goes.. errr.. well... I was a raw recruit back in those days. I mapped by hand and used color crayons to pretty up my maps Smiley  I think Just bout everybody killed me then... but untill the other day when I had a nuke dropped on my head,.. I think its been a few years since a player has taken me out.

I went looking for my old game reg yesterday for the editoo codes. I stumbled across those old maps instead. Gave me a chuckle reading my notes on the .998 game.

DamFrawd
Suprax
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 10:50:53 pm »

You're right Dwarfy Smiley  the Lerumnod is me and they are level 5 critters.  The Black Geozal was my son Black Knight,
George. (gawd I feel old now)  LOL
I might have to find you in one of the games and stick a well placed Thumper on your back - LOL
so watch your back *running away snickering*

Suprax
DamFrawd

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 11:47:54 am »

Oh I like sleeping with the thumper.. keeps me warm on those chilly wasteland nights.  That regular rythem is better than counting sheep too!

DF
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: