Operation: Overkill World HQ
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:57:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Be sure and visit Operation Overkill World HQ!
1079 Posts in 253 Topics by 97 Members
Latest Member: Lord Blackfair
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Operation: Overkill World HQ
|-+  Operation: Overkill BBS Door Game
| |-+  Recruit Chat
| | |-+  Roll Call- Who's playing where..?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Roll Call- Who's playing where..?  (Read 33356 times)
dgbehrends
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 03:35:26 am »

I tried connecting to bbs.fleethq.org and it said that it connected on port 23 but it couldn't resolve the hostname.

>> Connecting to bbs.fleethq.org on port 23 ... Connected.

Synchronet BBS for Linux Version 3.16
Connection from: 129.42.161.36
Resolving hostname...

I was using Overkill Term -- V1.20 (Win32) [Build 0016]

IGN:BIGD
christr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 08:38:42 am »

Did it not let you in at all?  You definitely connected, that 'resolving hostname' bit was my server trying to do a reverse dns resolution on you.  It should just timeout after a few seconds and let you in.  Were there any other error messages or did it disconnect?

I'll look to see if there is a config setting that requires reverse DNS to be working ... tho 99times out of 100 the ISP's at least have generic rev-dns setup, so it's pretty rare to find an IP that doesn't reverse resolve.

edited:  just checked the logs... see you came in, took my stuff 6 sec to do a reverse resolve (not great) but it worked... then a couple min later it saw a disconnect.  Strange.  I'm assuming you tried hitting enter or something during that time?  I wonder if it was having trouble displaying the entry screen.  I'll poke around a bit and see if I can figure out what's up...  I use Syncterm to connect and play overkill... wonder if the overkill term has issues with my ansi login page?

--Chris
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:05:20 am by christr » Logged
dgbehrends
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 12:23:29 pm »

I was able to log in tonight.

IGN:BIGD
christr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 02:24:22 pm »

Ok cool. 

place is kind of a ghost town right now.  While it's been running for 8 months I never told anyone about it. Smiley  About to officially open it in a week or so... just tweaking things like some of the menu,s adding games and adding a facebook app to access it.

There's also a Tradewars Game Server running there as well.  ( tradewars.fleethq.org for direct telnet).

I wonder if there's been any further dev on the Overkill game server?  Saw posts about it but nothing in years.  Would be spiffy to run that. Smiley

--Chris
Tarix
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 05:36:33 pm »

The game server is still around but its hard to find any time to move it forward.  The game is actually much larger than I remembered and it was taking a long time to convert everything and make it "safe" for multiple players at once.  In the end I focused a bit on trying to make the old game more playable on modern servers, but even that is a bit daunting.

I'm currently working towards putting the original game back up where you can play using just a modern browser.  It's kind of funny that it took this long for browsers to catch up to what we had implicitly in the modem days.

christr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 03:38:01 am »

I think Rick (who wrote fTelnet) may be working on adding OOTerm support to fTelnet.  Not entirely sure tho.  I asked him about it and a few others have as well... so it may happen.  That would be spiffy, and make even the old game 'webable' . Obviously tho, the multi-player bit is probably something of a challenge.

--Chris
Tarix
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 12:29:11 pm »

If he needs any of the assets definitely have him get in touch.  The ANSI screens can be converted to png very easily and accurately.  The wave files also haven't been release raw, but we're not trying to keep any of that a secret and term support is always welcome.

I'm actually working on a similar project using straight HTML5 (JavaScript, Websockets, etc.) but I won't have much time for it until April.

christr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 06:31:19 am »

FYI, on bbs.fleethq.org I fixed the issue with the 'resolving hostname' bit.  Seems the firewall ahead of the DNS server on my end was freaking out at all the DNS requests. Wink  silly thing.

I've finally also gotten around to announcing that the BBS exists... tho not like that really made traffic jump up all that much. Wink  I did toss it in as an 'app' on facebook so hopefully that helps a bit.

For those wanting to hit up our FB page it's:   www.facebook.com/FleetHQ  no real oauth on FB or anything like that.  Just fTelnet in there for now.  (so no ooterm support yet).  Obviously you can use Syncterm directly if you want.

--Chris
Tarix
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 01:56:46 pm »

What operating system are you running the BBS on?

christr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 02:11:34 pm »

Runs on Debian Linux.  Version is whatever Lenny is.... gotta update it at somepoint since Lenny isn't supported anymore.  Overkill door runs in dosemu.
Psycho Guppy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 04:16:18 pm »

I started playing on cavebbs.homeip.net recently. It doesn't seem active though.

Does anyone play this game anywhere? I remember it fondly from the mid-80s maybe? Back when I was just a BBSing runt, before the internet took off.

Please email me at gycho@hotmail.com with "OVERKILL" or something similar as the Subject so I know it's not spam.

Thanks a bunch,
-PG-
christr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2012, 02:43:07 am »

There are like 2 or 3 folks playing on mine.  They're all on map 1 I think.  Map 2 and 3 aren't getting much use tho.

telnet://bbs.fleethq.org

--Chris
Dwarf_in_hideing
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2013, 10:47:00 am »

Dumm tee Dumm tee Dummmmmmm

DF
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: