Operation: Overkill World HQ
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 08:44:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Be sure and visit Operation Overkill World HQ!
1079 Posts in 253 Topics by 97 Members
Latest Member: Lord Blackfair
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Operation: Overkill World HQ
|-+  Operation: Overkill BBS Door Game
| |-+  Killing Strategy
| | |-+  Number One Survival Tactic
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Number One Survival Tactic  (Read 18720 times)
Blazewarrior
Recruit

View Profile WWW
« on: January 01, 2011, 09:39:54 am »

A few minutes ago I was at telnet:\\bbs.memphistw.org playing OOII (even though someone beat Overkill a long time ago).
I was walking around on map 3 of Purgator mapset, near the mid-top left area where all the pits are, and was in such a hurry to get to
the hole down (to grab more duroplast hehe...4 days: 5 bases breached/looted, 1 destroyed) I didn't even notice I had 2 hp left.
Suddenly a Hexman appears....I have 3 choices...

1) Try to fight him with 2 hp...if I survived the LR hit, I could surrender half my crystals and live....hmm no way!
2) Full Surrender...and lose my nearly 20k crystals?  No way!
3) Try to Flee, and get shot in the back...no thanks!

So how did I get away with all my crystals and my life?

Simple....DISCONNECT!  Hehe...old-school trick.  You then wait 4 minutes or so and log back on (unless your plays-per-day is 1)
and you're right there where you left off before the combat.

Smiley
Mercury
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 12:59:29 am »

This is how I handle conflicts in real life.
dgbehrends
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 03:12:40 am »

A few minutes ago I was at telnet:\\bbs.memphistw.org playing OOII (even though someone beat Overkill a long time ago).
I was walking around on map 3 of Purgator mapset, near the mid-top left area where all the pits are, and was in such a hurry to get to
the hole down (to grab more duroplast hehe...4 days: 5 bases breached/looted, 1 destroyed) I didn't even notice I had 2 hp left.
Suddenly a Hexman appears....I have 3 choices...

1) Try to fight him with 2 hp...if I survived the LR hit, I could surrender half my crystals and live....hmm no way!
2) Full Surrender...and lose my nearly 20k crystals?  No way!
3) Try to Flee, and get shot in the back...no thanks!

So how did I get away with all my crystals and my life?

Simple....DISCONNECT!  Hehe...old-school trick.  You then wait 4 minutes or so and log back on (unless your plays-per-day is 1)
and you're right there where you left off before the combat.

Smiley

This is not how the game was intended to be played and what I would consider to be cheating.    Unfortunately there are several ways to cheat int he game, and even more unfortunate is that there are many willing to take advantage of these things.

IGN:BIGD
Dwarf_in_hideing
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 12:19:14 pm »

The problem with disconnecting is that often doing so will hang the game. Its a glitch that pops up from time to time. The game thinks someone is still playing and won't allow another to enter the game till it's un-hung. (usually manually by the sysop) I have seen games stay hung on some systems for 6 months to a year, as the sysops rarely check OOII.

DF
mro_1337

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 11:15:00 am »

The problem with disconnecting is that often doing so will hang the game. Its a glitch that pops up from time to time. The game thinks someone is still playing and won't allow another to enter the game till it's un-hung. (usually manually by the sysop) I have seen games stay hung on some systems for 6 months to a year, as the sysops rarely check OOII.

DF

if they're using a modern bbs software, when the user disconnects that process will be forced close.
if you're talking about a flag file that tells the game someone is online, yeah you should tell the sysop.

i havent had that issue yet and i've had people drop carrier in the game a lot, though.

yeah, people suck
Dwarf_in_hideing
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 08:01:52 am »

Yes, its a game flag file. It pops up occasionally, and has to be manually "fixed"

DF
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: