Operation: Overkill World HQ
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:56:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Be sure and visit Operation Overkill World HQ!
1079 Posts in 253 Topics by 97 Members
Latest Member: Lord Blackfair
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Operation: Overkill World HQ
|-+  Operation: Overkill BBS Door Game
| |-+  Recruit Chat
| | |-+  Oasis Project
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Oasis Project  (Read 6669 times)
Blazewarrior
Recruit

View Profile WWW
« on: December 22, 2010, 07:16:31 pm »

Grin

I am very close to finishing a game editor for the game I'm working on.  It's going to be a MMOG based loosely on OOII and other BBS games (LOD, BRE, TradeWars, NetHack), but with graphics.  It will look like a cross between Final Fantasy 2, OOII, and VGA Planets.

The editor isn't finished yet, but I uploaded a functional version to FilePlanet for people to check out if anyone is interested.

Here's a link to it:  http://www.fileplanet.com/217947/210000/fileinfo/Oasis-Project-Galaxy-Editor-ALPHA

And here's some info about the game:

20 planets to start with (50 max) in a 5000-sector galaxy.  The map movement is like OOII, but 9x9 view, and the outer space travel is similar to Tradewars 2002.  I added Laptops, which were inspired by LOD, but nothing like the ones in that game.  In Oasis Project, the laptops will have hard drives, and you can store programs, or copy them if you have a spare flash drive.  There is a device called a Brainjack, which allows the players to explore the "DataCore Matrix" which is somewhat similar to moving around the map, except that it's a randomly generated map of "nodes", some of which are open (allowing passage), locked, firewall protected, corrupted, etc etc.  Every Complex, Starbase, Mothership, Base, Vehicle, Mecha, etc has a "Control Node" associated with it, which allows use of most menu options of that place/object remotely via a laptop + Sub-Space Modem.  These can possibly be hacked, allowing players to potentially take over other players' ships/bases/etc by hacking their control rooms.

The DataCore system is way too complex for me to go into complete detail here, so I'll leave it at that.

Each of the 20-50 worlds range in size from 50x50 (small), 100x100 (medium), to 200x200 (large), and each has various settings which control the AI behavior of that world during maintenance, and the world geology/terrains/ weather will all change according to geological activity, gravity, humidity, avg rain, avg bad weather ("gloom"), and other factors. 

There are 11 planet types, and planets can be owned by building a Complex there (1 per planet).
Each planet has 1 AFB and 1 Alien Prison.
There will be World Trade and Galactic Trade options, which is where items will go when players sell them to vendors.

There will be both random monsters (like in OOII & FF2) as well as NPCs.  Players may group with up to 4 other players/NPCs.
NPCs in a party can be hired or join for various reasons, including randomly generated quests.

There are 10 playable "factions" and 2 non-playable ones (aliens & bandits/space pirates)

Each world has both a surface and underground map, equal in size.  AFB and Alien Prison each have a 30x30 sub-map and special terrains.
Bases may be built on the surface or underground.  Certain upgrades can allow for hovering (above ground) bases or underwater bases.

Combat system will be sort of like Final Fantasy 2, but with an action combat somewhat similar to OOII.

Players/NPCs can be "knocked out" in combat, and can be "captured" into the party (if there's room) as a prisoner.
Prisoners may be taken to a Mothership or Complex, where they are immediately thrown into the Brig for up to 3 days, or until they escape.
Prisoners who escape the Brig within a ship or complex and manage to fight off the guards (if there are any) will have a chance to break into the control room or other rooms.

The game will have vehicles (cars, trucks, boats, airplanes, helicopters, hot air balloons, tanks, APCs, etc), Several types of Mecha, upgradeable motherships, many skills to learn (players can learn all skills, but start with only 1), bounties & rewards, randomly generated quests,
AI-controlled weather patterns, "anomalies", and geological activity.  Plants and animals may also be harvested for various reasons, and a Taming skill allows taming of some beast-type monsters as NPC party members, and a Riding skill allows use of mounts such as horses & dragons.

The graphics are somewhat crappy, basically I did all of the terrains, planets, and background views as .BMP images in Bryce 4 and Photoshop 5, and for the animated images, I found lots of nice "royalty-free" .gif animations to use.  Since the combat system is similar to FF2, these .gifs should work out just fine in the long run, since I'm still a noob programmer.

The editor kicks butt, for being my very first Visual Basic program ever.  I haven't programmed since Turbo Basic in the late 80's & early 90's.
I somehow learned VB 2008 in 3 hours after drinking 2 Venom energy drinks. 

Check out the link above, and let me know what you think, or if you notice anything wrong, keeping in mind that a lot of buttons don't yet do anything.  You can however create maps for all the worlds, place weather, NPC camps, and other things.  You can edit the info for each complex, afb, alien prison, starbase, and space sectors (including building warp paths to other sectors).

for all the options that say "Owner" you should leave that at the default value of "0" because I haven't added the player variable data yet, and entering anything other than a number will give an error message & crash editor.  Other than that, it works, and saving/loading works fine too,
so you can play around with it and build maps and imagine how it's going to be.   Wink

Next thing I'm adding to the editor:  Base placement, Mecha/Vehicle/Mount/Spaceship creation, Random Monster Types editor, SmartMine creator (15 types of SmartMines), NPC editor, Quest Generator / Editor, Item creation & placement.

For now, the editor is good enough to make a map & space to play-test as I build the game itself.

I'm still figuring out the client/server stuff, but I've read that it's way easier in VB than in C++ and most other languages, so that's encouraging.  I looked at some tutorials and it's not overly confusing, so I shouldn't have too much of a problem with it.
I might make a single-player version just for testing, so I'll have a lot of code ready to cut & paste once I'm ready to do the MMO version.
 Grin

-={Dragonstar}=-
Surfing atop the Short-bus of life
Blazewarrior
Recruit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 11:44:43 am »

I am quite please with my progress thus far, but I see now the value in using all text.
I was thinking graphics would improve things, but really it just complicates things.

It's okay though, I know what I'm doing and how to do it.

I kinda wish I had used only text though, so I'm seriously limiting the use of graphics in my game.
It will have graphics for the map terrains, planets, stuff like bases, vehicles, mecha, spaceships, etc.

But other than that, the combat will be text-based, as will most of the game menus.
Don't let the editor fool you, the graphics you see are pretty much it, except I haven't added
the graphics for vehicles, mechs, mounts, and spacecraft yet.

I COULD do graphics for items, but there's simply way too many of them.

I'm building the game Server now, and once it's more-or-less functional, I'll begin making a Client program to test the Complex menu and walking around the map.  Once that works, and multiple people can connect, walk around the map, and explore space, and be able to see each other,
then I'll be ready to fairly quickly flesh out the rest of the game.  Then it will go BETA, and I will be a happy camper.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: