Operation: Overkill World HQ
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:39:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Be sure and visit Operation Overkill World HQ!
1079 Posts in 253 Topics by 97 Members
Latest Member: Lord Blackfair
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Operation: Overkill World HQ
|-+  Overkill Website
| |-+  Suggestions and Complaints
| | |-+  hi
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: hi  (Read 10897 times)
mindphaser
Recruit

View Profile WWW
hi
« on: January 08, 2004, 03:01:44 pm »

Great site--I was thinking a few days ago about this Operation Overkill and today I managed to stumble across it!  I'm glad you guys are keeping it alive.  Hopefully I'll be able to spend lots of time playing it on the BBS you have here.

Meanwhile, I can't vote--says the module isn't active, but 3 other people have voted, so is it just me?  (I did just register so maybe that's it...)

Mindphaser
Wycco
Recruit

View Profile
hi
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2004, 02:39:13 am »

Hi,

Yes I signed up a few days ago, people were discussing L.O.R.D and it made me think of the other BBS games...  Operation Overkill being my favorite... great to see someone is trying to revive it.

Its funny, there is so much I don't remember about OO and so much I do- still the simplicity is such that I quickly got the hang of it back.

Tarix,

I've been briefly to your beta development...  Looks good so far!  Were you a developer on the original OO?  One question though, had any thought been made during the rebuilding to making OO for use with a regular internet connection rather than using a telnet connection to a BBS door game?

Perhaps in PHP, or as an ASP page.  I had, myself, at one point considered making an OO type game using ASP...

PS Anyhow, keep up the good work!  No chance you are also reviving OO's less known sibling "Land Of Devastation" too is there?

(I assume they had the same author as they were so similar)
mindphaser
Recruit

View Profile WWW
hi
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 10:40:49 am »

Hey Wycco.  The main page does say something about a "standalone" version, which sounds like fun to me.  Anyway to do what you're suggesting wouldn't java work better?   Also, aren't a lot of bbs's now telnet-only?  (IE hosted over DSL instead of dialup)  

-mp
Tarix
Admin

View Profile WWW
hi
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 04:52:26 am »

Quote from: "Wycco"

I've been briefly to your beta development...  Looks good so far!  Were you a developer on the original OO?  One question though, had any thought been made during the rebuilding to making OO for use with a regular internet connection rather than using a telnet connection to a BBS door game?

Thanks!  I recently solved some technical issues that were hindering me.  I should have a bit more time off and on these days so hopefully I can resume that project.  For a while there I thought I had run myself into a technical wall!

Perhaps in PHP, or as an ASP page.  I had, myself, at one point considered making an OO type game using ASP...

I think some door games could be done in php very well.  Games like Overkill wouldn't translate well in my opinion.

PS Anyhow, keep up the good work!  No chance you are also reviving OO's less known sibling "Land Of Devastation" too is there?

(I assume they had the same author as they were so similar)

LoD had a different author, but I believe Dustin was in contact with him.  LoD was sort of a copy-cat door, but I don't really know the whole story there.  I think ultimately OOII had an established fan base and was always further ahead in development, so eventually LoD faded off in obscurity.

Tarix
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 05:01:32 am »

Quote from: "mindphaser"

Meanwhile, I can't vote--says the module isn't active, but 3 other people have voted, so is it just me?  (I did just register so maybe that's it...)

Oops. Smiley  Try again and let me know if you still have problems.

Dustin
Leader of the Lizards
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 08:35:19 am »

Quote from: "Tarix"
Quote from: "mindphaser"

Oops. Smiley  Try again and let me know if you still have problems.

One other strange thing (relating to this PHP-Nuke) I'm seeing is 'missing header' debug spews, such as this:

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /web/content/operationoverkill.com/html/header.php:32) in /web/content/operationoverkill.com/html/includes/page_header.php on line 525

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /web/content/operationoverkill.com/html/header.php:32) in /web/content/operationoverkill.com/html/includes/page_header.php on line 531

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /web/content/operationoverkill.com/html/header.php:32) in /web/content/operationoverkill.com/html/includes/page_header.php on line 532

Is anyone else seeing these error reports?  (Usually at the top of the pages)

-Dustin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: