Operation: Overkill World HQ
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:16:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Be sure and visit Operation Overkill World HQ!
1079 Posts in 253 Topics by 97 Members
Latest Member: Lord Blackfair
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Operation: Overkill World HQ
|-+  Operation: Overkill BBS Door Game
| |-+  Recruit Chat
| | |-+  Simply Awesome
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Simply Awesome  (Read 5751 times)
offset
Recruit

View Profile WWW
« on: March 11, 2004, 11:11:02 am »

Wow!!

I've been wanting to play this game again (I was addicted) but I haven't dialed into a BBS in a loooong time.

I tried the telnet operationoverkill.com and I must say I am impressed.

I've already created a character and I'm going to try this out for awhile to see how I like it.

Keep up the good work.

Now I'm curious about how the backend is run for this game (ie.  How does this run (linux, etc)).
Tarix
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 11:24:45 am »

Quote from: "offset"
Wow!!

Welcome back. Smiley  Dustin, the original author, still lurks around a bit.  I try not to change anything major without his permission and blessing. Smiley

I've been wanting to play this game again (I was addicted) but I haven't dialed into a BBS in a loooong time.

telnet://bbs.operationoverkill.com/  has the original game running as well.  It's not perfect since it's a 16bit DOS/Modem game running on Windows NT, but it's all we have for now. Smiley

I tried the telnet operationoverkill.com and I must say I am impressed.

An almost dead project that I recently revived because a coworker pointed out a killer idea that solved a problem I was having. Smiley  It's a nasty abuse of the C language, but holy shit the results speak for themselves!

Now I'm curious about how the backend is run for this game (ie.  How does this run (linux, etc)).

The backend you are running it on is a Dual Pentium Pro 233 with 192megs of RAM.  It runs Fedora Core 1 and also runs the website here.  OOIS doesn't take up much processing power even with a couple people on it.

The code also runs on Windows NT (4, 2000, XP, 2003), any type of Linux system (including SPARC), and SGI's IRIX.  I've also run it on Solaris, but I rebuilt that system with Gentoo. Smiley

It's C/C++ right now and once I get it cleaned up will be very pure C++.  The ideal target is a Unix platform, but I develop it mostly on Windows and then let you guys test it on Linux.  The cross platform code is less than 100 lines, so ...

I tried to use a very modern architecture as well.  It uses memory mapped files instead of typical file access.  Network I/O is threaded and the game code uses a hybrid C-scripting system.  The design was to allow 100 simultaneous players.  The reality is that it could probably handle 1,000.

With a little luck all of this base code will get recycled into some sort of Overkill sequel.  However first I need to finish porting the original game. Smiley

Enjoy!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: